Rock Identification in the Wild: Minerals
Rocks are all around us, but very few of us can name the rocks we see! Come to the Rock Identification in the Wild series. We will learn the skills to identify different traits in rocks that geologists use to determine the rock type. The class will begin indoors in the Red Rocks Room so that we can learn the traits that we are looking for and how to measure them. Then we will head out into Garden of the Gods and put our new knowledge to work identifying any rocks that we find! This week’s session will focus on Mineral ID. All rocks are made up of minerals, they are like the ingredients in each rock. We will learn the various traits that all minerals share and how to differentiate between them!
- For the walk portion of the class, be sure to bring water, a backpack, and a sweatshirt for the weather!
- This program is best suited for ages 10 and up!
- Tickets are sold on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- No Refunds.
- If you have any questions about this program, please email email@example.com
- If registration is closed, stop by the Information Desk the day of the event to see if there are still spots open for the program